HTML in Depth
January 24, 2013
HTML makes no difference between horizontal and vertical spaces you make in the actual HTML file. To make a visible space, you can use the tag.
Block vs. inline elements
- div (general purpose block element)
- p (paragraph)
- h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 (all headings)
- ul, ol, dl, li, dt, dd (lists, list items, etc.)
- table (tables)
- blockquote (indented paragraph meant for long passage of text)
- form (an input form)
- span (general purpose inline element)
- a (link)
- strong (strong text)
- em (emphasized text)
- img (image)
- br (line-break)
- input (input field used in forms)
You can change the display property of any element using CSS.
Types of Links
- internal link
- external link
- link that opens in a new window or tab
- link with a title
- image link
- mailto link
- id selector link
Troubleshooting Questions to Ask Yourself
- Do all tags (that need to) have an opening and closing tag?
- Is everything I want to display in the body section?
- Do all links or assets have the right file path?
- Are all assets uploaded/in the right place?
- Am I editing the correct file?
- Did I include the correct DOCTYPE or did I include one at all?
- Does my code validate? Markup Validation Service
Keep the portal open